What I love about these Italian Stuffed Peppers is the perfect mix of fresh simple ingredients. Sliced fresh cherry tomatoes, a healthy drizzle of olive oil, sweet basil and crumbled feta cheese stuffed into a warmed red pepper. These make a perfect light lunch or appetizer.
This recipe comes straight from Italy
When I went to Italy after college, I stayed with a friend that had moved there and married a handsome Italian man. (We're going to get to see them again this fall on our trip to Tuscany!) She made the most unforgettable meal I've ever had. I literally thought I was going to explode, but it was all so fresh and so amazing, I couldn't stop.
My favorite part of the meal was this Italian stuffed pepper. With such simple ingredients, it's incredibly easy to make, and yet, the flavors will knock your socks off! It's my favorite vegetarian, gluten-free appetizer ever!
The fresher the better
There's really no point in making these if you can't get fresh ingredients, since all the flavor comes straight from the very few ingredients. I like to buy red peppers when they're in season because they're fresher and cheaper! Those bad boys can run $2 each in the off-season. But right now, they're $0.75 each, so I can make a dozen and binge on these all week long!
Now, 2 of these peppers is enough for me for a meal, however, my husband really needs more. So, I like to make these as an appetizer and then cook up some fresh ravioli (Trader Joe's is my favorite) with a simple butter wine sauce to go with it. You can still keep it vegetarian, but obviously the pasta's got the gluten.
Just looking at this makes my mouth water and makes me super anxious to get back to Italy! I hope you enjoy this simple appetizer as much as I do!
Love these stuffed peppers? Try these other vegetarian recipes!
Italian Stuffed Peppers
- 2 red peppers try to find peppers that are more round than rectangular
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes I like the cherubs because they're sweeter
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 C crumbled feta cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cut the peppers in half length-wise. Remove the tops, seeds and white membrane from the inside. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, slice cherry tomatoes in half and thinly slice the basil. In a medium size bowl combine feta, tomatoes and basil. Add a pinch of salt and a few cranks of freshly ground pepper. Stir.
- When the peppers are finished cooking, evenly stuff with the tomato mixture among the 4 pepper "boats" and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place peppers back in the oven for another 15 minutes. (Your kitchen will smell heavenly.)
- Remove peppers and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. I like to add a fresh basil leaf on top to make these really stand out. Enjoy!