This is our family go-to for Christmas season snacking. The smell of this pumpkin bread is like a signal to my body to pull out the Christmas decorations and start singing “snow, snow, snow, snow”. However, it also makes a delicious treat all year round. This is hands-down my son’s most requested sweet bread.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from my link I may make a small commission at no cost to you.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
Pumpkin bread for gifts
I made mini pumpkin bread loaves for all my neighbors and kids teachers this year. I found cardboard loaf pans at Home Goods that came with the cellophane bags and cute tags. You can bake right in the loaf pans and then cool, wrap em’ up and hand em’ out. DONE!
Make this pumpkin bread gluten free
If you need a gluten free version, my mom makes a full batch using Cup for Cup flour. You cannot tell the difference (seriously). It’s still sooooo good and moist even without the gluten. I’ve tried a few other types of gluten free options, but this one comes out the best and is easiest to use.
Pumpkin bread variations
Ok, this sounds really weird, but we make this bread in the summer, put some cream cheese and sliced strawberries on top for a cute summer tea sandwich. It’s so delicious for both kids and adults.
Have you tried my other Christmas family staple? These Overnight Sticky Buns will give you another reason to wake up early on Christmas morning. Or, if you are my brother, you’ll make them for every special occasion. They are an incredibly delicious breakfast to make ahead and share if you must.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make with my kiddos. I can pull up a chair for them and give them a wooden spoon to stir it up. No mixer needed, and the smell is heavenly even before it goes in the oven.
Love this Pumpkin Bread recipe? Try these other no refined sugar muffins!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Perfect Pumpkin Bread
- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 3 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg sounds like a lot, but trust me
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2/3 C water
- 1 C vegetable or canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 C canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 C chopped nuts optional
- Grease and flour two 9×5 loaf pans and set aside. (I use one 9×5 and 2 little pans)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients.
- Mix until well blended and there are no more streaks of flour.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake on middle shelf in oven for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, depending on your oven. Check your loaves at about 50 minutes for doneness. Center of loaf should bounce back when touched lightly.