Have you ever tried a breakfast strata? This is the most delicious and hearty way to start your day, and so easy to put together the night before! That means breakfast is ready and delicious in a jif.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from my link I may make a small commission at no cost to you.
Breakfast Strata – Bread
I chose to use a multigrain bread for this recipe to add in some of that good stuff your body needs to give you continuous energy throughout the day. You can use any bread you prefer, but I recommend something hearty and dense to really hold you over until lunch.
Sweet and Salty Breakfast
I always prefer a sweet and salty breakfast to just one or the other. How about you? My husband loves all the sweet breakfast stuff. But this strata keeps everyone happy. The sweet potato and syrup drizzled on top gives it just the right amount of sweet. And the eggy mixture, cheese and chicken sausage keeps it salty and full of flavor. Creating the perfect combo.
Make this breakfast strata the night before
It doesn’t take really long to make this breakfast strata, but I still recommend putting it together the night before. Therefore, you can wake up and just throw it in the oven with no effort. Because no one wants to labor in the kitchen in the morning, and I absolutely love it when I set my future-self up for success. This is also a perfect breakfast for company. You can easily double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 pan to feed a crowd.
Loving this make ahead Breakfast Strata? Try these other quick breakfasts!
Follow me on Pinterest for more sweet and savory breakfast ideas!
I love sweet and savory breakfasts so much, I’ve dedicated an entire Pinterest board to all these wonderful morning combinations! Check it out and be sure to follow me!
- 6 oz good multigrain bread cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz chicken sausage
- 1 1/2 C monterey jack cheese
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 C milk or milk substitute
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Poke the sweet potato all over with a fork and put in the microwave on a paper towel on HIGH for 8 minutes or until completely cooked through. Let rest for 5 minutes. Peel the outside and dice into 1/2″ cubes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Dice the bread into 1″ cubes. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once. Remove and set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet over medium heat. Add chicken sausage and stir and crumble until fully cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine milk and following 4 ingredients. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, sweet potato, half the sausage and half the cheese. Pour milk and egg mixture over bread mixture and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the soaked bread mixture into an 8×8 pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top with the remaining sausage and cheese.
- Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray to keep it from sticking to the top.
- (OPTIONAL MAKE-AHEAD) If making the night before, place in the refrigerator at this point.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Slice and serve with syrup drizzled on top!