I’ve never ordered Jalapeño Poppers at a restaurant. True story. However, my sister-in-law, Rachel has made them for me a few times and they’re SO GOOD! Now she’s created this outstanding Jalapeño Popper Burger using those same flavors. The creamy smooth cheese mixed with the spicy/sweet jalapeños and savory caramelized onions is absolute burger perfection. So delicious, such simple ingredients and now my favorite summer-time burger!
Make Ahead Jalapeño Popper Burger Perfection
First of all, if you want to really amp up your burger game, make your own buns. We love this recipe from King Arthur Flour. It’s hard to improve on this recipe, but for our jalapeño popper burger, we like it with mozzarella cheese and jalapeños added on top before baking. Pretty amazing! These can be made ahead of time, even the day before, and just kept in an airtight container.
Next, prep your hamburger patties by shaping and refrigerating. Or you can buy the prepared patties. This burger has plenty of flavor, so you don’t need to add seasoning unless you can’t live without it! This can also be done ahead of time and wrapped in saran wrap or covered in a container and kept refrigerated.
Now let’s sauté some onions. I like mine really caramelized with a little brown sugar and salt, but they can also just be cooked in their own juices or a little olive oil. Just slice and place in a pan over medium heat and allow to cook for about 20 minutes (or until the color you like best), stirring occasionally.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
When you’re ready to start grilling
Turn your grill on to medium-high heat. Once hot, add your patties. Allow to cook for about 4 minutes and then flip. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes, then add mozzarella and cream cheese and allow it all to melt for about 2 minutes.
Once your patties are done and the cheese has melted, remove from the grill. Add onions and jalapeños and place on your yummy buns! Enjoy these Jalapeño Popper Burgers and be sure to thank my sister-in-law, Rachel when you see her!
Love this Jalapeño Popper Burger recipe? Try these other awesome recipes for the grill.
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram!
Jalapeño Popper Burger
- 1 batch homemade hamburger buns or store-bought
- 4 pre-made burger patties or 1lb ground beef
- 1 package cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 C fresh or jar jalapeño slices
- 2 sweet onions caramelized
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- (Bun recipe link above). Before placing buns in the oven, brush with melted butter and top with jalapeño slices and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake and set aside.
- Sauté onions in a skillet over medium heat until they turn light brown. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill first side of patties, flip and grill for about 2 minutes. Then add mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and allow to melt.
- Once burgers are finished, top with onions and jalapeños and Enjoy!