Ever since we published our Decadent and Dense German Chocolate Cake, we’ve had requests for more of that cake. So this time we gave our amazing chocolate cake a Black Forest Twist! We’re confident you’ll love it just as much.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
What gives this Black Forest Cake such a perfectly moist texture?
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk is the magic ingredient to give cakes a softer texture, more body and tenderized gluten. In this cake it does all that— plus adds plenty of flavor.
- Chocolate Pudding Mix – Instant or regular works just fine. Adding a pudding mix to a cake makes it extra moist and enhances the chocolate flavor. This is optional, but definitely takes this cake to the next level.
- Cake Flour – Cake flour is finer, lighter and softer than all-purpose flour, making the cake a soft and tender with a delicious close crumb texture.
Why you’ll love this rich Black Forest Cake
- No Fail Recipe – Simple step-by-step instructions below!
- Texture – The ultimate chocolate cake base.
- Crowd-Pleaser – No one will turn down a perfect slice of chocolate cake.
- Flavor – Chocolate and cherry is impossible to resist.
- Ease – No fancy fillings here, just pop open a jar of cherry preserves.
Need more decadent dessert inspiration? Try these simple recipes!
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Raspberry Nutella Muffins
- Chewy Chocolate Cookies – 3 Ways
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Love this Black Forest Cake recipe? Try these other amazing chocolate cake recipes.
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Black Forest Chocolate Cake
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 C cake flour or all-purpose flour, or GF flour blend
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 package chocolate pudding mix
- 1 C buttermilk
- 11 oz cherry preserves
- 2 Tbsp water
- 4 oz semi sweet baking chocolate or chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 C whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray and line two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and pudding mix. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time.
- Alternating between flour mixture and buttermilk, add to mixer in two batches, starting with flour and ending with buttermilk. Mix on medium speed until smooth and fully combined, scraping sides if needed.
- Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake on center rack for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then flip out onto a cooling rack and remove parchment paper.
- While still hot brush cakes with cherry syrup.
- Allow to cool (to speed it up, place in refrigerator for 1 hour) then start assembling cake or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- You can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Make Whip Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix whipping cream and sugar. Beat on high until thick about 4 minutes.
- Put in refrigerator and keep cold until ready to use.
- Now assemble the cake. On a cake plate place first cake layer.
- Spread half of the whip cream over the cake and then place second layer of cake on top and spread remaining whip cream on top.
- Place in the refrigerator to keep cool while making ganache.
- Make Ganache
- Finely chop chocolate bar and place in a bowl (or use chocolate chips).
- Using the microwave or stove top heat whipping cream until hot being careful not to scorch.
- Pour hot milk on top of the chocolate and stir until smooth
- Add corn syrup and give a quick stir
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes so not hot but still spreadable
- Take cake out of refrigerator and slowly pour ganache over the top
- Place back in refrigerator to set ganache and then take out when ready to serve.
- Decorate with cherries, whip cream, coco powder, or chocolate curls