I first tried this combination of pizza flavors in my hometown of Long Beach, CA. Pistachio’s on pizza? That’s nuts (tee hee)! Then when we were in Italy, we went to the charming town of Sienna. We sat on the piazza and ate this pizza again along with some peach iced tea, kind Italians, and gorgeous thousand-year-old buildings towering nearby. And I fell in love with these flavors all over again. Turning them into Pistachio Pizza Pinwheels combined my love of these ingredients with my love of everything bite-sized.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Making these Pistachio Pizza Pinwheels
First, make the pizza dough. Use our Quick, No Rise Time Pizza Dough Recipe so you can make these right away. I’ve literally never found a better pizza dough recipe. It’s so soft and bakes up beautifully.
Once your pizza dough is ready, spread it out on a lightly floured surface, into a large rectangle (about 16″ x 12″).
Now we need to whip up the cream sauce! Start by making a roux by melting the butter and then adding in the flour. Whisk those together in the skillet for about 2 minutes.
Now, slowly add the milk and continue whisking until thickened.
Remove from the heat and add the salt and pepper and the cheese. Now you’ve made a delicious cream sauce! So easy! Now we can assemble our pinwheels.
Continue Making Your Sauce
Start by pouring the sauce all over the dough. Then top with 1/2 the cheese, mortadella and pistachios. Top with the remaining cheese. Done!
Now we’re going to roll. Roll from the long side so you get the most pinwheels you can. Keep the roll tight and then pinch the edge together once completely rolled, in order to keep it from stuff falling out.
Trim off both ends wherever it’s uneven. Then slice along the roll at about 1/2″ to 1″ slices. They’ll puff up a bit in the oven, so don’t worry if they seem small. Now you can place the pinwheels on their sides on a baking sheet that is sprayed with non-stick spray or has parchment paper. And bake away! 425° for 12-15 minutes should do the trick!
Love these Pistachio Pizza Pinwheels? Try these other amazing Italian appetizers?
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
- 1 pizza dough regular size
- 1 1/4 C shredded mozzarella divided
- 6 slices mortadella
- 1/4 C pistachios shelled
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 C milk whole is best
- 1/8 tsp black pepper more to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt more to taste
- Make up a batch of our No Rise Pizza Dough, or use a store bought dough. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add flour to create a roux. Whisk constantly until butter is browned and flour is mixed in (about 2 minutes)
- Slowly add in milk while whisking. Keep stirring until sauce has thickened.
- Once sauce is thick, remove from heat. Add 1/4 C mozzarella, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Liberally flour your work surface. Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle about 16″ x 12″. Top with sauce, remaining mozzarella and pistachios. Spread mortadella out evenly to cover entire surface.
- Roll along the length, so the finished roll is about 16″ long. Cut off uneven ends. Cut into 1/2″ slices.
- Place each pinwheel onto baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until dough is fully cooked and cheese is just starting to brown.
- Remove and try to wait until it's cooled to chow down!