No need to avoid your vegetarian friends anymore! This Mediterranean Vegetable Pot Pie recipe is super easy to make ahead and then throw in the oven when your veggie-friends arrive! It’s also so beautiful!
Love your vegetarian friends or start “Meatless Monday”
I have some friends that I just love. Except that they’re vegetarians. I know, right? But I still love them. However, the way I show my love is through my cooking. How will they ever know how I feel if I can’t adequately express myself through food?! Because every time they come over, I’m scouring ideas or even considering purchasing tofu. I know.
Enter stage right: this amazing Mediterranean Vegetable Pie.
Voila! After the first bite of this pie, I’m feeling the love around the table in both directions! Who knew vegetables could be so delicious? And with 2 kinds of cheese and plenty of herbs, this vegetable pie will have you going for seconds.
Everything should come wrapped in pie crust, right?
I mean, seriously, wouldn’t everything be more delicious wrapped in pie crust? Isn’t it just so pretty!? You almost don’t want to cut into it…almost.
I had fun searching for easy ways to decorate your pie crust without needing any special cutters or stamps or spending forever braiding or lattice-ing. Plus, my simple fork method took about 20 seconds and really gave the crust that special touch.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
Need vegetarian AND gluten-free? Easy!
Of course, my vegetarian friends are now also gluten-free. Apparently everyone on the planet is now. However, you can easily make a gluten-free pie crust like this one here from Mama Gourmand. Her recipe is really easy and doesn’t require purchasing 6 different weird flours in order to make it taste normal. I’m excited to try this recipe next time I make this pie! I love using a glass pie dish so I can easily see if the bottom is done.
If you’re needing an outstanding gluten free dessert too, try our flourless chocolate cake! It’s really amazing.
So don’t be afraid of your vegetarian (or gluten-free) friends anymore! Now you can invite them over without apprehension and make them this vegetable pie. And they’ll love you forever, even though you’re a carnivore.
Love this vegetable pie? Try these other veggie-centered recipes!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Mediterranean Vegetable Pot Pie
- 1 lb eggplant about 2 medium
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 lb zucchini about 3 medium
- 1 lb tomatoes I like Roma tomatoes for this. About 5.
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp oregano dried
- 3/4 tsp basil dried
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground tastes best
- 1 package pie crust store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 C shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Prep the eggplant by cutting 1/2 inch off both ends. Then slice all the skin off and cut in 1/2 inch rounds.
- Place rounds on paper towels and sprinkle 1 tsp salt evenly over top. Place another layer of paper towels on top of slices and place something heavy on top to help absorb the moisture. I used my cutting board and then put a couple bowls on top.
- Leave eggplant for 30 minutes and let the paper towels soak up as much moisture as possible.
- While eggplant is resting, dice onion, garlic and zucchini into 1/4" pieces.
- When eggplant is done resting, dice into 1/4″ cubes.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, onion and minced garlic. Cook, stirring often, until tender (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Combine oregano, basil, remaining salt and pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes into 1/2″ pieces, removing the seeds and as much wet stuff as you can.
- Lay 1 crust into pie dish. Add 1/2 the vegetables and 1/2 the tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 the herbs and 1/2 the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Place second pie crust on top and crimp edges so the pie crusts are sealed around the edges. For a dark and shiny crust, brush with 1 egg yolk and then sprinkle with parmesan.
- Place in the center of the oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Once pie crust is fully cooked and pie is heated through, remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Best enjoyed with a crusty french bread to soak up the vegetable juices!