Keep these in the freezer for a super quick dinner everyone will love!
If you could only have one type of food for the rest of your life what would you have? Mine, hands down, would be Mexican. Maybe it’s because I grew up in southern California and that being the predominate food there, it reminds me of home. When we first moved away, we went to the Pacific Northwest, and for all the amazing things they have (fish!), the Mexican food stinks. Seriously, their idea of a “wet” burrito was a small drizzle of salsa (imagine my face with utter disappointment here). You need to drench that sucker in enchilada sauce, it should be swimming! This was when I decided to step up my own Mexican food game.
This recipe is all about what you already have in the pantry. That is one of the reasons these taquitos are fantastic. Use what you have on hand and simplify your dinner and your life! This is my go-to recipe of meat, beans, corn and cheese, but really, it’s hard to go wrong with your filling. Last week I filled these with red pepper, rice, onion and pinto beans, since I had leftovers that needed to be used up, (waste not, want not) and they were great!
The key here is to microwave the tortillas in a wet paper towel to make them pliable. Otherwise they will be impossible to roll. Brushing with olive oil will give them that fried crunch, but with none of the oily fried fat. So, no need to worry about eating as many as your heart, or stomach, desires.
So when the craving hits, you now have a quick and simple dinner with all the flavors you love.
Make Ahead Baked Taquitos
- 20 corn tortillas
- 1 C diced chicken
- 1 15oz can black beans drained
- 1 C frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 C salsa any kind you fancy
- 1/2 C shredded cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and spray rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, black beans, corn, salsa and cheese.
- Wrap 10 tortillas in wet paper towels and microwave on high for 2 minutes. This will make the tortillas easy to roll and will keep them from cracking. Repeat with next 10.
- Scoop a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture and place in a line on each tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling. Place on rimmed sheet pan seam side down leaving room around each taquito.
- Brush taquitos with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake on center rack for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy.