If you're familiar with Lebanese food (lucky you!), then you've probably had a similar Mediterranean Chicken Wrap, sometimes called Chicken Tawook. The unforgettable flavor of the chicken and the sweet spices come together with garlic sauce, tomatoes and (surprise!) pickles. Pickles may sound like an odd addition, but it's typical for this region and lends a surprising crunch and flavor you'll love. It's seriously delicious, and the whole family will love it, for reals.
Making Mediterranean yogurt sauce and marinade
One of my favorite shortcuts is to make a sauce one time and use it as a marinade and later as a dip or sauce, just like this Honey Mustard Chicken Marinade and Dip. Because, why not, right? And in this case, it perfectly spices and infuses the chicken with moisture while marinating, and I can't get enough of it later when I pour it on my pita wrap.
How to build the perfect Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
Start with thick Greek yogurt
I've made this marinade/sauce with a few different brands of yogurt, and it really does make a difference. Chobani plain Greek yogurt creates the most perfect consistency and flavor. But other plain greek yogurts can be use as well. I would avoid the soupy regular yogurt. Go for the really thick and creamy yogurt to get the best flavor and consistency.
Add Garlic Spread (Toum)
The official name for this thick garlic spread is Toum. It's basically vegetable oil, lemon juice and garlic whipped into a frenzy until it's thick and has a balanced flavor profile. However, I found a great ready-made garlic spread at Trader Joe's (in the refrigerated sauces section near the hummus), but I've seen it at the grocery store as well. Or here's an awesome blog post about making it yourself. I made mine one time and while it was very good, I didn't feel like the flavor justified the time, when I can just pick it up for a few bucks.
Bread and Butter Pickles
So I've been on the hunt for the authentic Lebanese pickles and I've come up empty-handed. However, simple American Bread and Butter pickle spears give a similar taste and texture and adds a wonderfully unexpected and delightful flavor!
White Pita Bread
I prefer pita bread to a pita pocket because the bread has more moisture and flavor. I find pita pockets to be a little bland and dry. However, you can use whichever you prefer. If prepping right before eating, I like to drizzle a little olive oil on the pita breads and then wrap them all up together in foil and place them in a 350°F oven for about 10 minutes, so they get warm and then they don't crack when folded.
How to get Perfect Grilled Chicken — cube, marinate, skewer and grill
For this recipe, I've tried cooking the chicken every which way from Sunday, and the absolute best flavor is when you cube the raw chicken, marinate, skewer and grill it up. This way you get plenty of flavor on each piece of chicken and the pieces are ready to go into the pita straight from the grill. I cube and marinate in the morning, skewer and grill before dinner. Or see below for the ultimate make ahead option.
Easy, Quick chicken grilling tips
If using a gas grill, spray grates liberally with non stick spray to help keep the chicken from sticking. Heat the grill to about 425 degrees F, but try to keep it between 425 to 450. If the heat goes too high, the chicken will stick.
If you try to flip the chicken and its sticking, just close the lid and give it another 30-60 seconds. It won't flip easily until it gets those delicious grill marks. This takes about 4 minutes per side for skewers.
Leave a little space between the chicken on the skewer, don't squish the pieces together, otherwise there is a risk of the chicken having undercooked spots. To prevent any issues, leave ¼" of space between each piece.
Can I Prep this mediterranean chicken wrap ahead of time?
You bet! This chicken recipe can be prepared once and then eaten all week as a prepared lunch or dinner. Or, I like to make it ahead of time for company.
If you've been around this blog much, you'll know that I abhor spending hours in the kitchen in the evening while my family is all together enjoying each other. So I prep dinner ahead of time whenever possible. This meal is a simple marinade and sauce, and then light prep before dinner. OR, go all the way and put the sandwiches together completely, wrap in foil and then heat in the oven for 15-20 minutes before you eat. Literally the easiest dinner ever.
Also makes an awesome make ahead lunch. Unwrap the foil and heat in the microwave for 15 second intervals until the center is warmed through. Makes a great lunch at work or on the go!
Simple recipe modifications
Everything in this recipe is gluten free except for the pita bread. Another great way to enjoy this is as a mediterranean rice bowl. Simply cook up some white rice and place chicken and toppings on top of the rice and eat as a bowl. Delicious!
Another easy way to enjoy this mediterranean chicken wrap recipe is as a salad. Again, simply place all ingredients atop a bed of lettuce and let the toum and yogurt sauce be the dressing.
These would be great additions to this recipe, or feel free to add your favorite Mediterranean toppings!
- Kalamata olives
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Chopped romaine lettuce or arugula
- Chopped parsley
Looking for more make-ahead chicken recipes? You've come to the right place!
- Chicken Cordon Blue, Italian Style - a simple wrapped chicken with prosciutto and brie
- Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Bake - Makes an easy dinner or hearty dip
- Olive and Artichoke Chicken - seems so fancy, but its SO easy!
- Spicy Chicken Skewers with Cool Soba Noodles - another amazing marinade steals the show
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Burger - topped with blue cheese slaw
Mediterranean Chicken Wrap
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt Chobani works best for this recipe
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2-2.5 pounds chicken breasts cut into large pieces for skewers
- 1 package white pita bread
- 8 tablespoons garlic spread (also called "toum") about 2 tablespoons per sandwich
- 4 bread and butter pickle spears thinly sliced - more to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes sliced
- Cut chicken breasts into large 1 ½" squares and place into a zip-top bag or medium baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Add ½ of the marinade ingredients to the bag of chicken and move chicken around until well coated. Reserve the rest of the marinade to use as a sauce.
- Marinade chicken for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Turn on grill to medium high heat and allow to reach 400°F. Skewer the chicken onto metal or wood skewers (if using wood, be sure to soak in water ahead of time so they don't burn). Grill until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes, flipping once half-way through.
- Serve wrapped in pita bread with toum garlic sauce, a generous helping of the Tawook sauce, and thinly sliced pickles and fresh tomato.
Leave a Reply