This Orange Scone recipe has been my favorite go-to breakfast for over 5 years. Buttery but not heavy with the perfect combination of orange and chocolate. I have the recipe memorized and make them at least once a month. The only way to make these better is by adding some lemon curd and raspberry jam. I’m pretty sure you’re gonna love it!
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
To make perfect Orange Chocolate Chip Scones, simply…
Mixing up these scones is easy and can be done in a jif!
Start by getting your oven hot, 350°F. And spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
Mix up your dry ingredients in a food processor for about 5 seconds. Add the cold, cubed butter and mix until fine crumbs, about 10 seconds. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use forks or your hands to mix in the butter.
Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add the eggs, orange juice, vanilla and orange zest. Mix just until no more flour streaks remain. If it’s too dry, add another tablespoon of orange juice.
Add those chocolate chips or chunks and give it a quick mix. Don’t handle or over mix the dough though, otherwise, they’ll be tough and won’t rise as well.
Place the orange scone dough on the greased baking sheet and create an 8″ circle. Next, mix up the egg yolk and orange juice and brush on the top. Generously sprinkle with raw sugar or granulated sugar.
Slice the dough into 8 even triangles before baking. But don’t separate.
Place on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the center springs back when touched.
Serve with raspberry jam and lemon curd. And try one while it’s warm, total heaven!
Love this scone recipe? Try these other amazing breakfast recipes!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Orange Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter very cold & cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp grated orange peel
- 1/2 C semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar in the raw granulated sugar works too
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using your hands, combine butter with dry ingredients until it is coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add eggs, orange juice and orange peel. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
- For 8 large scones: pat the dough into a 9 inch circle in the center of the baking sheet.
For 16 small scones: pat the dough into two 6 inch circles.
- Combine egg yolk and orange juice and brush over top of dough. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Using a serrated knife, cut dough into eight wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.