I know I know. Pound Cake Churros are another low fat, low sugar recipe. Hahaha. Yeah, so this is an indulgent recipe for sure, but oh my goodness, I love it sooooo much! I pull it out for stay at home date night, and especially for Cinco de Mayo!
Pound Cake Churros and Roy Choi
So, this idea came from Roy Choi's A-Frame restaurant in Los Angeles. The hubs and I went there right after it opened and had the most amazing beer can chicken and pickled veggies. After that, we wanted to top it off right, so we ordered the pound cake churros and chocolate malt. (These are actually served together and you dip the churro INTO the malt. Game changer. So amazing.)
The best part of this date night though is that Roy Choi himself served us our dessert and told us the story of how he came up with this recipe in Hawaii. It was such a treat to meet this food innovator and then to eat his amazing creation. (I checked, and it's still on the menu!)
Dip your churros in chocolate sauce, please!
I made a chocolate shake at home to dip our churros into, but it just didn't have that magic this time. I'm assuming Roy does some magic hocus-pocus on all his food. But, I did dip it into some Ghirardelli Chocolate Sauce. Holy cow, it was so rich and so fantastic!
This recipe is seriously easy, quick and inexpensive. Change it up for date night or your next party, I guarantee smiles while eating.
Pound Cake Churros
- 1 pound cake store bought or homemade
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- Slice pound cake into small logs about 3" long, 1" wide and deep.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil until oil appears "wavy" or throw one drop of water in the pan, it should sizzle and pop.
- Using tongs place the pound cake logs in the pan and brown on all sides. Don't crowd your pan, and be sure to be gentle as the cake can fall apart if handled too much. Each piece took about 2 minutes total.
- Place logs on a paper towel lined plate and allow to drain for a few minutes.
- While still warm, roll the logs in the cinnamon sugar coating all sides
- Serve warm with chocolate dipping sauce or all alone. Either way, it's going to be the best churro you've ever had!
it is soooooooo delicious <3 @_@