Whisk up a batch of Vegan Chocolate Sauce in just 10 minutes! Smooth, rich, completely satisfying, you won't even know it's vegan! Pour this chocolate sauce over ice cream, Flourless Chocolate Cake, or even as a dip for these Healthy Chocolate Popsicles.
I love to make up a double batch of this sauce whenever I get a carton of my favorite vegan ice cream. It's also amazing when combined with our Mixed Berry Compote for the ultimate ice cream dessert.
Cooking vegan is really easy! Check out our Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Vegan Vanilla Baked Donuts and Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (seriously, hands down, the BEST peanut butter cookies)!
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
Just 5 ingredients! I love how easily this recipe comes together. And it's been naturally sweetened with maple syrup, so no crazy sugar high after eating it straight from the bowl (I may have done this many times while creating this recipe).
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - this is where the deep chocolate flavor comes from, so grab a quality carton of cocoa powder. I used Hershey's. Also, did you know that unsweetened cocoa powder has 2 grams of fiber in every tablespoon!
- Maple Syrup - naturally sweetens this chocolate sauce
- Oat Milk - I love using Oatly, but use your favorite milk alternative
- Salt - adding salt to chocolate enhances the flavor, but you can reduce or increase to your taste
- Vanilla Extract - another flavor enhancer!
See recipe card for quantities.
Just 5 minutes and 1 small pan. I love how fast and fool proof this recipe is!
Gather simple ingredients.
Add all to saucepan.
It will start out lumpy.
Keep mixing over medium heat until smooth.
- Combine cocoa powder, maple syrup, oat milk and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk until smooth and thick. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Be sure not to scorch the mixture by whisking continuously. And it doesn't need to get hot, the heat just helps the mixture come together.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and whisk. Serve warm or room temperature, or place in the refrigerator for an hour to thicken.
- Store in an air tight container or jar in refrigerator for up to 14 days.
How to Serve Vegan Chocolate Sauce
This chocolate sauce is fantastic over your favorite vegan ice cream. However, there are many ways to enjoy this easy vegan sauce. Try one of these ideas below.
Pour Over Berries - wanting to make a healthier dessert? Pour some of this vegan sauce over fresh berries. Completely healthy and completely satisfying.
Make Easy Hot Chocolate - add 2 Tablespoons of chocolate sauce to 1 cup of your favorite milk alternative and heat for an easy hot chocolate.
Add to a Dessert Board - We're big fans of spreading out our favorite store-bought snacks or desserts and adding a bowl of this sauce in the center to add that extra-special chocolatey-ness required in our everyday.
This vegan chocolate sauce is pretty amazing just as it is, but here are some fun ways to make it a little different.
- Spicy - add a dash of cayenne powder to give your chocolate sauce a delicious kick! Add to taste, but start small!
- Cinnamon - add 1 teaspoon cinnamon for a little taste of fall.
- Peppermint - add ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract and use it around the holidays to go over ice cream with crushed candy canes. Yum!
No special equipment required for this recipe! Just a small saucepan and a stovetop. Although, I love this open whisk. I use it for everything and it never gets "clogged" like a loop whisk.
Vegan Chocolate Sauce Storage
Vegan chocolate sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed jar or container. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
Remove the sauce from the refrigerator 15 minutes before using it, or warm in the microwave at 15 second increments.
Place leftover chocolate sauce in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Vegan Chocolate Sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup oat milk or vegan milk alternative of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine cocoa powder, maple syrup, oat milk and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk until smooth and thick. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and whisk. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store in air tight container in refrigerator for up to 14 days.