Rocky road brownies have been on my mind for WEEKS people. I have no idea why. Perhaps I’m missing the fact that no one makes a lactose free rocky road ice cream yet. (First world problem? Yeah, I think so.) The thing I love about this recipe is that it’s not overly sweet. They’re chewy and chocolate-y, but not gulp your milk down kind of overly-sweet that some brownies can be. It’s the perfect balance. Plus, who doesn’t love a lightly crisp brownie top? I wouldn’t care to know anyone that doesn’t.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
So, the great thing about the marshmallows in these brownies is that they melt and create little gooey pockets of marshmallow-y goodness. (After saying this sentence to my husband and we decided that “marshmallow pockets” might be the most delicious thing I’ve ever said.) And I personally love the slight crunch from the pecans to give it some texture and interest. I’m a total pecan kind of girl. Any recipe that calls for nuts, I substitute pecans. They’re just superior. What’s crazy is how they say “pecans” in the south. Oh, you southerners are just a charm a minute.
Rocky Road Brownies – great any season
Let’s talk brownies with a scoop of ice cream in the summer. It’s the ultimate dessert in my humble opinion, and becomes more delicious on a warm summer night.
In the fall, I like to pair these brownies with a cup of hot tea in the afternoon while cuddled on the couch.
In the winter, my favorite is to pair these with a glass of wine or hot cocoa if I want something really sweet.
And in the spring, I like these with something fresh like iced tea or sparkling water. No matter what you pair these with, you will love them!
So, it’s summer time. Bake a batch of these at the beginning of the week, and make this your go-to brownie after dinner. Because these are best enjoyed outdoors with a glass of wine after the kids are in bed (really it’s the best way to enjoy anything). Ahhhh.
Loving these Rocky Road Brownies? Try these other chocolate desserts!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Rocky Road Brownie
- 1 C salted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate bar (1/2 bakers bar)
- 2 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 3/4 C mini marshmallows
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Removes the easiest by lining with parchment paper and sprayed with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and chocolate over medium heat, stirring often.
- Once melted, remove from heat and slowly add the sugar, stirring constantly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Add vanilla extract and stir.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder and salt, stirring until combined. Add the chocolate chips, 1/2 C of marshmallows and the pecans. and stir to combine.
- Top with the remaining 1/4 C of marshmallows (or more, if you’d like) and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched lightly.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack until cooled. Slice and serve!