These Creamy Mashed Potatoes have been my favorite mashed potato recipe since forever. Literally. My mom has been making these as far back as I can recall. And they’re still hands down the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever had.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from my link I may make a small commission at no cost to you.
Make your mashed potatoes the night before!
Literally, the best thing in the world is being over-prepared for a Holiday lunch or dinner, right? Well, these mashed potatoes are whipped up the day before. You can eat them right away if you must, but refrigerating overnight gives them this indescribable texture and taste. I just love it! I just pull them out while the oven heats up and then pop them in there for about 40 minutes until they’re super hot all the way through. Sooooo yum!
Let’s make these creamy mashed potatoes!
To make these mashed potatoes, you’ll need about 45 minutes and 1 pot. I’m all about minimal dishes folks. Peel and cut potatoes into 2″ pieces. Boil enough water to cover potatoes and give them room to dance around. Once boiling, put your potatoes in and let them cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain water and return potatoes to pot.
Now, I like to use my Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer (I love this thing! It’s lasted forever and works great!) to start breaking down the potatoes for about a minute. Then I add the cream cheese, sour cream, butter and salt and mix on medium speed until fully combined and only small lumps remain. Then I stir in the green onions! And done! Pour into your casserole dish and cover and refrigerate until ready to use. So simple!
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
Cutting back on the calories is super easy!
If you’re feeling like all the creamy goodness is a bit heavy, it’s really easy to cut back on the calories without sacrificing flavor! Simply purchase the low fat cream cheese and sour cream! Easy! Both of those cut the fat by about two thirds. So then these mashed potatoes become a side dish you can indulge in without the guilt!
Love these creamy mashed potatoes? Try these other great recipes!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 12 medium or large potatoes russet
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 C sour cream
- 1/2 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper more to taste
- 1/2 C sliced green onions
- paprika to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Cut potatoes into quarters or smaller. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Mash potatoes using a potato masher or electric beater.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until no lumps remain. Place in buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika (if desired). Cover and refrigerate overnight or until cooking time.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 350°F. Let potatoes rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 35-40 minutes or until hot through.