I wish I could adequately describe the soft, delicate and amazing flavor of these Almond Cake Cookies. The original recipe comes from The Perfect Cookie by America’s Test Kitchen, which is an awesome cookbook! But with a few tweaks, this recipe became an almond-y delight!
Using a food processor to mix cookie dough
This recipe calls for using a food processor to combine ingredients and make your cookie dough. This is an inspired way to save time and mess in the kitchen. Which ultimately means more cookies in your life, right? It works particularly well with this kind of recipe, since there are no chunky add-ins so the dough is created by using cold butter to create a “sand” with your dry ingredients. This creates a really soft final texture.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
Sweet almond and lemon flavor combo is magic!
What I love about these Almond Cake Cookies is that it gives me a different flavor to mix it up. I like to take a break from my chocolate chips and heavy flavors and go for something light and refreshing. While chocolate will always be closest to my heart, these cookies are so simple to whip up and have a really unique flavor combo perfect for summer.
Love these Soft Almond Cake Cookies? Try these other awesome cookie recipes!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram!
Almond Cake Cookies
- Food Processor
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 T unsalted butter cubed and chilled
- 4 T shortening i used coconut shortening chilled
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- Sprinkles optional
For the Almond Cake Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a food processor combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in chilled butter and shortening, and pulse until it has a wet sand appearance (about 10 pulses)
- If your processor is large enough continue to use it, but at this point mine was too full so i switched to a large mixing bowl and continued
- Add eggs, 1t almond extract, vanilla, and lemon zest
- Combine until dough is formed
- Roll into 1 inch balls
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden brown and slightly cracked
- Allow cookies to cool completely and then glaze and add sprinkles if desired
- Combine 1/4t almond extract, lemon juice, and powdered sugar and whisk until combined