Looking for easy Valentine’s Day cookies to make with the kids? Try these Chocolate Chip Butter Cookies! These are not just cute, they’re also so buttery and soft and chocolatey. It’s a classic that you will L-O-V-E! And it makes a great teacher’s gift, too!
This recipe was updated February 2020.
This is an old family recipe with a Valentine’s Day twist. These were done in about 20 minutes start to finish, which is the BEST. And if you don’t have a heart cookie cutter, you can just shape them with your hands into a rough heart, since they hold their shape in the oven.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Easy enough for kids to help!
My kiddo’s loved helping me bake these butter cookies, since they are so easy and quick. Plus, every kid loves a chance to dip something in chocolate, right? And I love the look of satisfaction when my son bites into something he helped mix and bake. Really, it’s how I feel too. Is there anything in the world better than biting into a butter cookie you made with your kids? Nope.
Baking is great for teaching kids
The best part of inviting your kids to help you in the kitchen is the opportunity for them to learn how something is made. Because baking is full of science and math and processes, but they’re having fun while doing it! I love a chance to sneaky teach my kids. So, let them join you in the process and you’ll all enjoy the treats so much more!
Loving these Butter Cookies? Need more Valentine’s Day recipes? Try these other awesome recipes!
Wrap it up for the perfect gift
Need a cute way to wrap up a food gift? I like putting cookies in a jar or small bread pan and wrapping with a vintage hankie. Look how cute! This is what I’m doing for my kids teachers for Valentine’s Day this year. It makes a gift that’s so simple and adorable! And would be really cute with a heart cookie cutter tied to the top.
Valentine Buttery Heart Cookies
- 3/4 C unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C mini or regular size chocolate chips
- 3/4 C chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter, egg, sugar and vanilla until well combined (about 1 minute).
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Shape dough into hearts, or flour a large working surface and roll dough out gently with a rolling pin. Use any shape cookie cutter. This will give you the neatest look.
- Bake on parchment-lined cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes until just set, not brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. While still slightly warm, I like to cut them with the same cookie cutter to sharpen up the edges again for a really clean look.
- While cookies are cooling, put chocolate chips and butter together in a microwave safe bowl and put in microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each time. Careful not to burn your chocolate.
- Once cookies are cool, dip any part of the cookie into the chocolate and shake or gently scrape off the excess. Place back on cooling rack to set. Keep in refrigerator if it’s a hot day!