A breakfast that’s filling, delicious and healthy, PLUS the entire family loves it? I know it sounds like a dream, but these Peanut Butter and Jelly Oat Bars tick all my boxes for a great way to start the day. They fill us all up for hours, can be eaten in the car on the way to school AND they taste delicious. So what are you waiting for? Let’s make ’em!
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Ingredients for perfect PB & J Oat Bars
Coconut Oil – We’re big fans of coconut oil, not because it’s some sort of miracle oil, but simply because of the flavor, how it reacts in baked goods and when you get it on your hands, just rub it in!
All Purpose Flour – You may think that flour is all the same, but we love to use King Arthur Flour whenever possible. Not only is their flour a better flavor, but they are an American-sourced, socially responsible and employee-owned company. Plus, I love how much joy emanates from their recipes.
Oats – You can use quick oats or rolled oats for this recipe. Amy uses Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Oats, and they work great.
Maple Syrup – I love love love using maple syrup as a sweetener. It’s like natures nectar. I’m amazed sometimes at the foods that come straight from nature and taste so outrageously good.
Coconut Sugar – We like to use coconut sugar here to keep the glycemic count low, but you can use granulated white sugar as well, either works great.
Creamy Peanut Butter and Jelly – Any creamy peanut butter will do. We like this recipe best with raspberry preserves (Bonne Maman is our go-to and we think is truly the best the grocery store has to offer), but feel free to use whatever preserves or jam is your favorite flavor. If you really want to reduce the sugar, use preserves with no added sugar, like Smuckers Simply Fruit, that gets its sweetness from fruit juice only.
To make these peanut butter and jelly oat bars, simply…
The great thing about this recipe is that it only uses two bowls and one baking pan. Gotta love that quick clean up.
FIRST, grab a large mixing bowl and an 8″x8″ baking pan. Spray the pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. PREHEAT the oven to 350°F.
In the large bowl, COMBINE the coconut oil, all purpose flour (or GF substitute), quick (or rolled) oats, maple syrup, coconut or granulated white sugar, baking powder and salt. Give it all a good stir until evenly mixed.
Remove 1/3 of the mixture into a smaller bowl. Set aside
In the 2/3 mixture, ADD the creamy peanut butter and mix well until evenly combined.
Using your hands, PRESS the peanut butter mixture into the baking pan until spread evenly.
Next, SPREAD the preserves being sure not to go all the way to the edges. Leave about 1/2″ all the way around, otherwise the preserves will burn.
Using your hands, CRUMBLE the remaining 1/3 of the dough over the top of the preserves.
BAKE on the center rack for 25-30 minutes until the top is lightly browned and it smells Heavenly.
Love this peanut butter and jelly oat bar recipe? Try these other bar recipes!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Oat Bars
- 1/2 C coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour or gluten free substitute
- 1 1/2 C quick oats
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 1/3 C coconut sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 C raspberry preserves or any preserves or jam you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, except for peanut butter and preserves.
- Set aside 1/3 of mixture. Mix peanut butter into the remaining 2/3 of mixture.
- Using your hands press the peanut butter mixture into the bottom of your pan until it’s even and relatively flat.
- Gently spread preserves, leaving 1/2″ around the outside. (The preserves will scald if up against the edge of the pan.)
- Using your hands, evenly crumble the remaining 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the preserves and lightly press so the crumbles stay in place after baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes on a center rack until lightly browned on top.
- Let cool in pan on top of a cooling rack. Cut and serve!