Sometimes I forget about flavors that I love. Butterscotch is one of those classic flavors that often gets overlooked. I fell in love with this Butterscotch Cake on a recent trip to my parents house in California. My mom’s friend, Nancy, make this cake for my mom’s birthday. We devoured it in 2 days flat. So, let’s all thank Nancy for this phenomenal recipe and for reminding us how delicious butterscotch is!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase from my link I may make a small commission at no cost to you.
Why you love bundt cake
What is it about those round cakes with the hole in the middle? For me, it’s the light crispy crust you get so much of in every piece. It’s also a no-fail way to make cake, since you don’t have to worry about a sinking center. Plus, you turn it over, so if you don’t love the way it baked, don’t worry, everyone will just see the beautiful design it created on the bottom! I use my tall cake plate to make this a centerpiece for Easter or Christmas, so pretty! I love my Nordic Ware bundt pan. Although I’m eyeing this beautiful shape Nancy used to make my mom’s birthday cake.
Here’s how to make this cake
This is a simple cake recipe that comes together in just a few minutes.
Start by melting your butterscotch chips in the microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, to be sure it doesn’t burn. Stir every time. Set aside while you mix up your dry ingredients.
Combine your dry ingredients in a medium bowl and your wet ingredients in a large bowl. Then gently mix your dry into your wet. Phew, that was easy!
Now spoon your batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Never skip the greasing and flouring in a bundt pan, since there’s no simple way to remove your cake if it gets stuck. So be thorough.
Bake for about 45 minutes, checking it at 40 for doneness. I like mine with a decent amount of crust, so I baked it for the whole 50 minutes.
This cake will keep fresh (and beautiful) under a domed cake plate (not an affiliate link, I just really love this one from Target) or wrapped in foil for up to a week.
Love this butterscotch bundt cake recipe? Try these other simple cake recipes!
Butterscotch Bundt Cake
- 1 C butterscotch chips
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 C canned pumpkin
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar for serving
- whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Melt butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl at 50% for 30 seconds at a time until fully melted.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butterscotch chips, pumpkin, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check for doneness after 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream.