I’m not sure there’s anything more satisfying than homemade Blue Cheese Dressing. I just took these photos and immediately sat down with some chips and started dipping away. I also love this on a wedge salad and my husband dips his fries. There’s no wrong way to eat this blue cheese dressing.
Never Miss a Recipe! Sign up for my Newsletter to see new recipes first!
Ways to use Blue Cheese Dressing
This delicious blue cheese dressing would be delicious as a…
- Veggie Dip – Yes, even your vegetables will love this blue cheese. Make a platter with my all-time favorites: carrots, broccoli and cherry tomatoes!
- Dressing – Classically, blue cheese dressing is used as well, a salad dressing. And this amped up version is absolute perfection on a wedge salad, or any hearty salad. Personal tip: Put blue cheese dressing and balsamic vinegar together on a salad. It will blow your mind. I discovered this combination when I worked as a server at an Italian restaurant a long time ago, and it’s still my favorite way to eat a regular ol’ salad!
- French Fry & Chip Dip – You may have already discovered to glory of dipping french fries into blue cheese dressing, but have you tried chips? My preference is classic ridge cut potato chips, because they hold more dip. My favorite french fries to dip are these Perfectly Seasoned Baked Fries.
Ingredients for this outstanding blue cheese dressing recipe…
Mayonnaise – make sure you get regular mayo. Fat free is also ok, just don’t get the olive oil kind, it makes the dressing VERY watery.
Sour Cream – Again, regular or low fat is ok. My favorite brand is Daisy, it has the perfect texture, thickness and tangy flavor.
Dry Mustard – I love using this spice in all sorts of recipes. If you need some inspiration, check out this article on more ways to use dry mustard.
Garlic Powder – I could pour garlic powder on just about everything, and this dressing is no exception.
Worcestershire Sauce – Here’s the secret ingredient. Worcestershire adds that perfect salty, savory, almost umami flavor that really sets this dressing apart. I promise you’ll love it!
To make this homemade blue cheese dressing/dip, simply…
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and . . . . . you’re done. Yup, that was easy. Measuring and stirring took me maybe 5 minutes.
Store in a large airtight container, like a Ball jar, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Possible recipe variations:
It’s easy to adjust this recipe to your tastes and preferences, here’s a few ideas:
- Lower Calories – use low fat mayonnaise and low fat sour cream. This will cut your calories by more than half, and it will still taste great!
- Spicier – If you like a little spice to your creamy dressings, try adding a few dashes of Tobasco or Buffalo Sauce. This would be a delicious and refreshing way to use as a dip alongside veggies.
- More Worcestershire-y – If you love the flavor of Worcestershire, you can increase up to 2 Tbsp. That will make that flavor really come through.
Love this blue cheese dressing recipe? Try these other awesome sauces.
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing and Dip
- 1 1/3 C good mayonnaise Full or low fat (not olive oil)
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4-5 oz crumbled blue cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Give it a good stir. Seriously, that's it!