Healthy side dishes are not difficult to come by. However, healthy side dishes that are also completely delicious are few and far between. I love a side dish like this Parmesan Broccoli that I look forward to as much as the main dish. The parmesan, lemon and garlic really enhance the flavor of fresh broccoli.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Tell me all about this parmesan broccoli
- Fresh – Using fresh broccoli, fresh parmesan, fresh lime juice and garlic really gives this simple side dish so much flavor.
- Pairs With – I honestly love broccoli with just about anything (it’s the one vegetable both my kids will eat), but see below for a list of great main dish recipes.
- Texture – Cooking the broccoli just a few minutes keeps the broccoli with a light crunch, but still soft and warm.
- Flavor – Warm broccoli brightened with lemon with a light coating of melted parmesan and little zing of garlic makes for a delicious side dish.
- Difficulty – The only trick in this recipe is cooking the broccoli to get just the right amount of crunch and softness. 5 minutes has been just right for us, but of course it will depend on your stove and pan. To check the broccoli, I like to stick a fork through the thick part of the stem. It should still be firm, but soft enough to go through.
Recipes that pair well with parmesan broccoli
- Balsamic Fig Pork Loin – This pork loin has tons of flavor, so a light side dish is perfect.
- Italian Cordon Blue – I can’t tell you how much I love this recipe. Lightly breaded chicken rolled up with brie and prosciutto. Mmm!
- Blackened Chicken – Chicken with a thick layer of spices cooked in a pan to create a spice-crust. So delicious!
- Olive & Artichoke Chicken – My favorite make-ahead meal. Just combine ingredients and refrigerate. Throw in the oven when ready!
- Grilled Steak with Blue Cheese Salsa – Also a great make-ahead meal, this time for the grill.
Love this parmesan broccoli recipe? Try these other amazing side dish recipes!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Perfect Parmesan Broccoli
- 2 C fresh broccoli large stem removed and cut into small hunks
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil more if needed
- Heat oil over medium high heat, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and lemon juice.
- Cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes (Add more oil if needed)
- Turn off heat and add Parmesan, stirring the broccoli to slightly melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.