Healthy side dishes are not difficult to come by. However, healthy side dishes that are also completely delicious are few and far between. I love a side dish like this Parmesan Broccoli that I look forward to as much as the main dish. The parmesan, lemon and garlic really enhance the flavor of fresh broccoli.
Tell me all about this parmesan broccoli
- Fresh - Using fresh broccoli, fresh parmesan, fresh lime juice and garlic really gives this simple side dish so much flavor.
- Pairs With - I honestly love broccoli with just about anything (it's the one vegetable both my kids will eat), but see below for a list of great main dish recipes.
- Texture - Cooking the broccoli just a few minutes keeps the broccoli with a light crunch, but still soft and warm.
- Flavor - Warm broccoli brightened with lemon with a light coating of melted parmesan and little zing of garlic makes for a delicious side dish.
- Difficulty - The only trick in this recipe is cooking the broccoli to get just the right amount of crunch and softness. 5 minutes has been just right for us, but of course it will depend on your stove and pan. To check the broccoli, I like to stick a fork through the thick part of the stem. It should still be firm, but soft enough to go through.
Recipes that pair well with parmesan broccoli
- Balsamic Fig Pork Loin - This pork loin has tons of flavor, so a light side dish is perfect.
- Italian Cordon Blue - I can't tell you how much I love this recipe. Lightly breaded chicken rolled up with brie and prosciutto. Mmm!
- Blackened Chicken - Chicken with a thick layer of spices cooked in a pan to create a spice-crust. So delicious!
- Olive & Artichoke Chicken - My favorite make-ahead meal. Just combine ingredients and refrigerate. Throw in the oven when ready!
- Grilled Steak with Blue Cheese Salsa - Also a great make-ahead meal, this time for the grill.
Love this parmesan broccoli recipe? Try these other amazing side dish recipes!
Perfect Parmesan Broccoli
- 2 C fresh broccoli large stem removed and cut into small hunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ C shredded parmesan
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil more if needed
- Heat oil over medium high heat, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and lemon juice.
- Cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes (Add more oil if needed)
- Turn off heat and add Parmesan, stirring the broccoli to slightly melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.