Crispy exterior with a sweet and soft center, these Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are the delicious meeting point of french fries and mashed potatoes. Boil, smash and bake with olive oil, butter, garlic, parmesan and parsley. Completely delicious and completely simple. The perfect side dish for any meal.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Can I make these potatoes dairy free?
Of course! This recipe is super simple to make lactose or dairy free. Simply substitute the butter for more olive oil. And have you ever tried the Good Karma brand sour cream? It’s totally delicious!
Can I use different kinds of potatoes?
Sure thing! As long as they’re small, like fingerlings or new potatoes. This recipe would work great with purple, red and gold small spuds. You can also cut up russet or yukon gold potatoes into quarters and still smash them. They won’t be quite a good since there won’t be as much skin, but it can be done in a pinch!
Tell me all about these parmesan smashed potatoes
- Flavor – Savory mixture of butter, garlic and parmesan, lightened with fresh parsley.
- Texture – Creamy and soft inside and an awesome crisp potato skin. I love the combination of crispy and smooth, kind of like a french fry, only healthier and much more interesting.
- Difficulty Level – Very simple. Boil the potatoes whole, smash them and then brush them with garlic butter. Bake until crisp skins form and then top them off with parmesan and parsley. Simple!
- Time – About 40 minutes start to finish.
Got some Dinner recipes that go great with these smashed potatoes? Of course we do! These are some of our readers favorite dinner recipes:
- Chicken Cordon Blue with Brie and Prosciutto
- Olive and Artichoke Chicken
- Pork Loin with Apricot Balsamic Glaze
- Balsamic Fig Pork Loin
- Grilled Steak with Blue Cheese Salsa
Love these Parmesan smashed potatoes? Try these other amazing potato recipes!
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 3 lb small red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp minced garlic about 2 cloves
- salt and pepper to taste generous
- 1/4 C shredded parmesan
- 1/4 C fresh chopped parsley
- Place all potatoes in a large stock pot. Cover with water. Heat on high until boiling and potatoes become fork tender. About 15 – 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Drizzle olive oil on baking sheet.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and smash each potato using the bottom of a glass or other flat "smashing" surface. Wipe the bottom of the glass after each smashing and spray with non stick spray as needed so the potatoes don't stick to the glass.
- In a small bowl, melt butter and add garlic. Gently brush each potato with half the garlic butter. Salt generously and add pepper to taste.
- Bake on center rack for 20 minutes or until skins are lightly crisped.
- Once potatoes are crisp and tender, brush with garlic butter again. Top with parmesan and parsley. Serve while hot!