Add a little spice to your dinner with this amazing 505 Southwestern® Cheesesteak. Thinly sliced steak cooked in fresh and delicious 505SW Pineapple Mango Jalapeño Salsa. Top it off with 505SW Queso Blanco and some 505SW™ Flame Roasted Hatch Valley Green Chile. You’ve got yourself a lunch or dinner you’ll never forget. Truly fantastic!
Sponsored Post: We are so excited to be sharing this recipe sponsored by the fine people at 505 Southwestern®. We only work with products we are confident you’ll love as much as we do.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Tell me all about this 505 Southwestern Salsa & Queso Cheesesteak
- Flavor – The 505SW™ Pineapple Mango Jalapeño Salsa absolutely makes this recipe sing. It adds that perfect touch of sweet and spicy to the steak. The onion, pepper, mushroom combination brings a slight crunch and more fresh flavors. But I have to say, it’s the 505SW™ Queso Blanco on top that adds my favorite creamy, slightly spicy element to this sandwich from south of the border.
Now, if you like to give your Southwestern Cheesesteak sandwich a little extra spice, we like to add some 505SW Flame Roasted Green Chile on top too. I also love that I can buy a large jar of this at Costco (across the country!).
- Texture – Perfectly tender steak, slightly crunchy veggies and plenty of sauce makes this the perfect sandwich filling. We like to use classic hoagie roll buns, but feel free to put it on Hawaiian rolls or if you’re like Amy, put it on your favorite gluten free bread.
Making This Southwestern Cheesesteak
- Difficulty Level – This sandwich recipe falls right between easy and moderate. Cutting and cooking the steak, onion and peppers takes a couple minutes, but no special skills. Everything else is a simple open and pour situation.
- Prep Time – (about 15 minutes) Cutting the steak and veggies will take about 15 minutes.
- Cook Time – (about 15 minutes) Cook the veggies until softened and set aside. To make it a Southwestern Cheesesteak, cook the steak with some sweet and spicy 505SW Pineapple Mango Jalapeño Salsa. Since the meat is sliced very thin (ask your butcher to do this for you if you can’t find it pre-sliced), it only takes a few minutes.
- Step-by-Step Instructions – If you like to see how this all comes together, watch the video or scroll to the bottom for complete step-by-step instructions with pictures! So easy!
Simple Ingredients to make the best Southwestern Cheesesteak
- Steak – Ribeye is the classic cut for cheesesteak, but you can use any tender cut that is shaved or very thinly sliced. I even love the pre-cooked shaved steak fro Costco. Delicious and makes dinner even easier!
- 505 Southwestern Pineapple, Mango, Jalapeño Salsa – This salsa has become a family favorite, since it’s sweeter without too much heat, so the kids love it just as much as we do. It add such an amazing flavor to the meat for this sandwich.
- 505 Southwestern Queso Blanco – Creamy and only lightly spiced, this sauce adds such an amazing flavor. I mean queso on top of steak? Can you possibly go wrong?
- Onion, Peppers & Mushrooms – The onions and peppers get a little softer and become a touch sweet when cooked. Now the mushrooms are optional, but I love the texture and flavor they add. Like a little surprise.
Got Dietary Restrictions?
- Can I make this gluten free? – Very easily! Simply substitute the hoagie rolls for your favorite gluten free bread.
- Can I make this dairy free? – You bet! The only dairy in this recipe comes from the 505SW Queso Blanco. Either omit or find a plant based queso.
- Can I make this Southwestern Cheesesteak vegetarian? You can, however we haven’t tried. To make it vegetarian, I would double the amount of onion, pepper and mushrooms and then replace the meat with Gardein or Impossible meats.
Got any other delicious Salsa-inspired recipes? So glad you asked! These are some of our readers favorites.
- Healthy Chicken and Rice Bake with Salsa Verde
- Tomatillo Salsa Pretzel Bites
- Green Chile Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
- Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Secret Ingredient Pico de Gallo
- Grilled Steak with Blue Cheese Salsa
Love this 505 Southwestern Cheesesteak? Try these other recipes filled with delicious 505SW salsa!
If you decide to give this recipe a try, be sure to snap a photo to share, tagging @theovenlight and #theovenlight on Instagram or Facebook!
Southwestern Cheesesteak | Simply Delicious With 505SW™ Salsa
- 1 lb beef sliced very thin I used roundtop *
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 C mushrooms chopped or sliced thin
- 1/4 C oil
- 1 C 505 Southwestern® Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 505 Southwestern® Queso Blanco
- 505 Southwestern® Hatch Valley Green Chile
- Pour oil into a large sauce pan or cast iron skillet.
- Over medium low heat sauté onion, pepper, and mushrooms until very soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat add Pineapple Mango Salsa and allow to cook for a minute to slightly reduce.
- Add in the beef and cook until cooked through about 1-5 minutes depending on thickness.
- Warm the queso—we just put it in the microwave to save a dish.
- To assemble on the hoagie—place meat, onion mixture, then drizzle with queso and top with green chiles.
- Grab extra napkins, it’s about to get messy.
Step by Step Instructions
Sauté onion, peppers and mushrooms.
Add 505SW™ Pineapple Mango Jalapeño Salsa to hot pan.
Add shaved steak and cook.
Place cooked steak on sandwich bread.
Lots of onion, peppers and mushrooms.
Now it’s time for some 505SW Queso Blanco.
Pump up the spice with 505SW Flame Roasted Green Chile.