Give dinner a little kick tonight with this spicy cousin of the common macaroni and cheese. Four types of cheese and a bottle of fresh 505SW™ Green Chile Sauce makes for an easy dinner that is uniquely amazing. We like to top it off with crisp bacon and parmesan cheese to add a little crunch.
Sponsored Post: We are so excited to be sharing this recipe sponsored by the fine people at 505 Southwestern®. We only work with products we are confident you'll love as much as we do.
Tell me all about this 505 Southwestern Green Chile Sauce Mac & Cheese
- Flavor - The 505SW™ Green Chile Sauce is categorized as medium, but mixed with all the cheese in this recipe, it's comes out more mild in the end. If you prefer more spice, go ahead and add some of their Flame Roasted Green Chile! What I love about the 505SW salsas and sauces is that they are made right here in the USA. Plus, they're full of delicious Hatch Valley green chile from New Mexico.
The four kinds of cheese give this macaroni and cheese dinner a deliciously creamy twist on basic mac & cheese. The gouda add that smoky flavor, while the cheddars make it a little sharp and then the Monterey jack smooths it out. Cheesy perfection!
- Texture - Perfectly cooked noodles can make all the difference. Make sure to cook al dente because the noodles will continue to soak up the sauce when it's baked. The four different kinds of cheese really make this the creamiest mac & cheese sauce and then the bacon on top adds the perfect crunch.
Making This Spicy Mac & Cheese
- Difficulty Level - This recipe lays right between easy and moderate. The only trick is making a roux (butter & flour sauce base) that will thicken the sauce to perfection. Follow our simple trick of wiping a line on the back of the spoon (see video for visual). If the sauce stays in a clean line, you're good to go! The rest of the recipe is very simple.
- Prep Time - (about 15 minutes) Shredding cheese is the only real prep work involved here. Everything else is a simple open, measure and dump situation. Gotta love that! Plus, this dinner can be made ahead of time! After pouring the mac & cheese into the baking dish, simply cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook Time - (about 30 minutes) Boiling the noodles takes about 10 minutes (depending on what kind of noodles you're using) and the sauce all comes together while they're cooking. Then about 20 minutes in the oven until it's bubbling and super hot all the way through.
- Step-by-Step Instructions - If you like to see how this all comes together, watch the video or scroll to the bottom for complete step-by-step instructions with pictures! So easy!
Simple Ingredients to make the best Spicy Macaroni & Cheese
- 505 Southwestern Green Chile Sauce - This is our go-to sauce from the amazing line of 505SW™ products. We use it in our simple 2 Ingredient Crockpot Shredded Chicken, pour it on top of burritos, and add it to rice. It's super versatile and has just the right amount of spice that the whole family loves.
- Cheddar Cheeses - Both sharp and white cheddar are used in this recipe. You can just go with one (and double it), but we liked the complexity these two cheeses bring to the recipe. Plus, it makes for a pretty lighter orange color.
- Gouda Cheese - I don't know if there is a cheese I like more than gouda. Smoky, sweet, sharp, it's got it all. In this recipe, it really brings a flavor punch to the table.
- Monterey Jack Cheese - A total staple when it comes to making Mexican inspired dishes, Monterey Jack is creamy and smooth, offsetting the spices in the Green Chile Sauce and mellowing out the flavors.
- Spices - Minced garlic, salt and pepper. Done. All the rest of the amazing flavor comes from that magic jar of 505SW Green Chile Sauce.
Got Dietary Restrictions?
- Can I make this gluten free? - Absolutely! We made this using Banza chickpea spiral noodles and it tasted just as delicious. We also used King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure flour blend in the roux to make sure it was completely gluten free.
- Can I make this dairy free? - Yes and no. We experimented with making a cashew cream base for this recipe and then adding a cheese alternative. While it was tasty enough to eat, it wasn't delicious enough to share with all of you. When we have a good enough dairy free macaroni and cheese recipe, we promise to share. But if you're feeling adventurous, give it a try and let us know how it goes!
Got any other delicious Cheesy recipes? So glad you asked! These are some of our readers favorites.
- Blackberry Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mountain Burger with Cambazola Cheese, Bacon & Onion
- Easy Creamy Monterey Jack Queso
- Jalapeño Popper Burger with Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Pepper Muffins
- Chicken Cordon Blue with Prosciutto & Brie Cheese
Love this 505SW Green Chile Sauce Spicy Macaroni & Cheese? Try these other recipes filled with delicious spice!
505 Southwestern® Green Chile Sauce Spicy Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 C sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 C white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 C smoked gouda shredded
- 1 C Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ C chicken broth
- 1 ½ C whole milk
- 1 lb noodles any will work, but I used spiral
- ¼ C unsalted butter
- ¼ C flour
- 1 jar 505 Southwestern® Green Chile Sauce medium heat
- 3-4 tablespoon garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ⅓ C bacon crumbles optional
- parmesan for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in a large skillet. Add flour, whisking until combined.
- Add milk & broth, whisking until smooth.
- Simmer on low until it begins to thicken. It should coat the back of a spoon (see video).
- Add all 4 cheeses, 505SW™ sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until cheese melts and no lumps remain.
- In a large bowl combine cooked noodles and spicy cheese sauce, tossing until evenly coated.
- Pour into a lightly greased 9"x13" pan.
- Top with bacon crumbles and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until browned on top. Serve immediately. ENJOY!
Step by Step Instructions
Make a roux by combining butter and flour.
Add milk & stock. Allow to thicken.
Add all four cheeses.
Time for the secret ingredient! Add 1 jar 505SW Green Chile Sauce.
Add garlic, salt & pepper.
Boil noodles to al dente.
Add sauce to noodles and stir.
Add toppings and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.