Packed with fresh flavors, this Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup is not only delicious, but it’s also super healthy! A sublime winter recipe to warm you up and slow you down. The secret ingredient for this soup is the Hatch Valley Green Chile from 505 Southwestern®, lending the perfect spice to this wintery soup.
Sponsored Post: We are so excited to be sharing this recipe sponsored by the fine people at 505 Southwestern®. We only work with products we are confident you’ll love as much as we do.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Tell me all about this 505 Southwestern Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Flavor – The 505SW™ Flame Roasted Green Chile is categorized as a medium salsa, and if you use the whole jar, it’ll pack quite a spicy punch. If you prefer a lighter spice, use half the jar and serve some on the side for others who like the heat. What I love about the 505SW salsas and sauces is that they are made right here in the USA. Plus, they’re full of delicious Hatch Valley green chile from New Mexico.
- Texture – This twist on the classic chicken tortilla soup reaches ultimate texture perfection. Lightly salted broth full of soft beans, corn, tomatoes, green chile and onions, layered with perfectly cooked chicken. Top it off with crunchy tortilla chips, smooth avocado and sour cream and plenty of cilantro (if you’re a cilantro lover like me).
Making This Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Difficulty Level – It really doesn’t get much easier than this green chile soup. There’s nothing difficult or tricky. My only tip would be to check the chicken for doneness after 2-3 hours. If chicken cooks in the crockpot for too long, it can dry out.
- Prep Time – Who doesn’t love a slow cooker (crock pot) recipe you can throw together in 10 minutes and forget about, right? Chopping an onion takes 2 minutes, and everything else is a simple open and throw in situation. I even use pre-chopped garlic to avoid the two days of garlicky fingers.
- Cook Time – I’ve made this recipe both slow and fast in my crockpot as well as the Instant Pot. I prefer the fast crockpot method so I can throw it together after lunch when the kids are mellow (it happens for like 10 minutes every day) and have it ready in time for dinner. Bada bing, bada boom. Done!
- Step-by-Step Instructions – If you like to see how this all comes together, watch the video or scroll to the bottom for complete step-by-step instructions with pictures! So easy!
Simple Ingredients to make the best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 505 Southwestern Flame Roasted Green Chile – We’ve made this soup with the 505SW Green Chile as well as the 505SW Green Chile Sauce. Both taste amazing, but we went with the Flame Roasted Hatch Valley Green Chile so that the flavor of just the chile really comes through.
- Black Beans – Feel free to mix it up and use Pinto or Cannelini beans if you prefer. I like the pop of color from the black beans, plus they taste so good!
- Corn – If you’re like my husband and you don’t like corn, feel free to leave it out. However, I love the slight crunch, sweetness and color from the corn. Frozen or canned work great!
- Chopped Tomatoes – Be sure to purchase a small can of unflavored chopped tomatoes here. They come in a variety, but I went with unsalted plain tomatoes for this recipe.
- Spices – Powdered garlic, onion, cumin, and chili create the perfect combination of spices to bring out the flavors in this soup recipe. Rounded out with a touch of salt and pepper, and I didn’t need to add anything, the flavor was perfect right out of the bowl.
Healthy, quick and delicious – the ultimate winter soup!
- Healthy – No gluten, dairy or other common allergens makes this recipe an easy answer to feed the whole family. Plus, it’s full of only healthy ingredients to fortify your system for those cold winter days.
- 10 Minutes and Make Ahead – It truly took me less than 10 minutes to throw this soup together! And most of that time was spent looking for the cans hiding in my cupboard. And seriously, what is better than the smell of soup getting itself ready for you while you curl up on the couch with a good book and watch the snow (or clean up legos off the floor while you look at the couch covered in laundry…)?
Got any other healthy Mexican recipes? So glad you asked! These are some of our readers favorites.
- Make Ahead Salsa Verde Chicken & Rice Bake
- 2 Ingredient Shredded Chicken
- Insanely Delicious Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Lunch Prep Carnitas Burritos
- Garlic Jalapeño Pinto Beans
- Simple Sunday Night Nachos
- Creamy Monterey Jack Queso
- Freezer Friendly Baked Taquitos
Love this 505SW Hatch Valley Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup? Try these other recipes filled with delicious spice!
505 Southwestern® Green Chile Tortilla Soup
- 1 yellow or sweet onion diced
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic about 5 cloves
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can frozen or canned corn drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 4 C chicken broth 32 ounce box
- 1/2 16 oz jar 505SW™ Flame Roasted Green Chile add the whole jar if you like it spicy!
- 1/4 C lime juice about 4 limes
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Check the chicken for doneness after 2-3 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Return to soup and serve.
- Top with all the fixings!
Step by Step Instructions
Gather all your ingredients.
Combine onion, garlic, corn, beans, tomatoes, lime juice, chicken stock and chicken breasts.
Add 505SW™ Green Chile and spices.
Cook on high 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
Remove chicken and shred.
Add chicken back to soup and heat.
Serve and add your favorite toppings.