I was a little dubious when my sister told me she was making these pinto beans to share with you all. But oh my goodness, I literally could not stop eating these! They’re so delicious and it was only 5 minutes of hands-on time. PLUS, only about $3 for a side dish that feeds 6 people. Total WIN! Makes a great vegetarian side dish!
How to Make Pinto Beans with Restaurant Quality Texture and Taste
The secret to creating beans that taste like they’re from a restaurant is a long simmering time. This softens the beans and brings out all the flavor as well as marries the flavor from the add-ins into the beans. Giving them a little “smush” after simmering creates that great restaurant style texture.
Make these as spicy or mild as you want
We used 2 tablespoons diced jalepeños with the seeds removed. This created just the right amount of heat for us. No burning tongue, just a great bit of heat. If you like things extra spicy, add another tablespoon. But if you’re a lightweight and you don’t want much spice, reduce down to 1 tablespoon.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Health Benefits of Pinto Beans
Beans are a great source of protein. So if you’re a vegetarian or vegan, this recipe is a great side dish to get your protein. It is a complete protein if you combine these with rice, like my Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice. Beans also contain folate, zinc, iron, magnesium and fiber. So many awesome benefits! If you want to read more about the health benefits of beans, check out this article.
Love these Pinto Beans? Try these other amazing bean dishes!
Garlic Jalapeño Pinto Beans
- 2 16 oz can pinto beans drain one can and leave the second in its juices
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp jalepeños roughly chopped (add more to increase heat)
- Sauté garlic and jalapeños in a medium sauce pan over low heat for 4 minutes or slightly browned
- Add pinto beans and put lid on the pot
- Let simmer on low for 20-60 minutes (The longer they simmer the softer they will be, however you will get the desired flavor in 20 minutes if you're in a rush)
- Mash slightly and serve