These Double Decker Tacos are the offspring of the love affair of crunchy and soft tacos. Copycat of the Taco Bell item without any of the guilt of fast food. Plus, these couldn't come at a better time, seeing as how Taco Bell no longer serves them (blasphemy!).
How to make double decker tacos
- Bake the crunchy shells according to the packages instructions. You want a good crunch!
- Heat up the refried beans, bonus points if you use our amazing and simple Restaurant Style Refried Beans.
- Cook up the ground beef and add in a packet of taco seasoning. Don't have a packet of seasoning? No problem! Use equal parts salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.
- Finally warm up your flour tortillas. Either on the stove or wrap 10 tortillas in a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Time to assemble!
- Place a flour tortilla flat and spread a thin, even layer of beans over the entire tortilla.
- Next wrap it around the crunchy shell, the beans keep everything in place so do not worry if the shell breaks, actually it makes it easier to get all those fillings inside.
- Place inside the taco - meat, cheese, and lettuce. That is a traditional double decker. But if you don't mind breaking the rules add in tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream (you're such a rebel).
What happened to the Taco Bell Double Decker?
Once upon a time I frequented Taco Bell on a weekly basis (Hello high school!). While I no longer am a frequent patron of said establishment, I do find myself craving their Double Decker Taco, because well lets be honest... it is amazing.
So you could imagine my horror when I was on a road trip last year and found myself in their drive-thru line and was told they no longer carry that item! So it became time to take matters into my own hands. Hence the following recipe.
I am glad to say that this homemade version brings all of the joy and flavor of this classic without any of the fast food guilt or price tag.
Want to make Homemade Tortillas?
If you want to take these to the next level, make your own homemade tortillas. Great to make ahead and seriously outstanding! (Excuse the photography on that post, it's an older recipe and I was still a beginner!)
Recipes that taste great with Double Decker Tacos
- Cilantro Coconut Rice
- Garlic Jalapeño Pinto Beans
- Homemade Tortillas
- Easy Pico de Gallo
- Creamy Monterey Jack Queso
- Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup
Optional Double Decker Taco topping ideas
- Diced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeños
- Cotija cheese
- Sour Cream
Double Decker Tacos
- 1 package flour tortillas - taco/fajita size
- 1 package crunchy taco shells
- 1 can refried beans - or homemade
- 1 pound ground beef - or meat of choice
- 1 packet taco seasoning - make your own using- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin
- 8 ounce shredded cheese - Mexican blend or cheddar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce - shredded or chopped
- hot sauce
- sour cream
- Bake your taco shells according to the package instruction, you want them to have a good crunch.
- Heat up the refried beans in the microwave or stovetop.
- Cook your meat, add in taco seasoning and set aside.
- Warm up flour tortillas on the stove or microwave.
- Now it is time to assemble.
- Lay out a flour tortilla and spread an even thin layer of beans covering the entire tortilla.
- Place a hard shell taco on one side of the flour tortilla and completely wrap the hard shell, it's ok if the shell breaks, the flour will hold it together.
- Assemble with meat, cheese, lettuce and any other toppings you would like.