We eat rice for multiple meals a week at our house. This Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice completely changed our lives! It is the easiest way to turn a "whatever" meal into a "WHOA" kind of meal. My favorite is to use it as a base for burrito bowls.
Tell me all about this coconut cilantro lime rice
- Creamy - The coconut milk gives the rice a creamy feel and texture.
- Texture - Soft and creamy. The extra liquid and fat in the coconut milk gives the rice a smooth, soft texture.
- Flavor - The mixture of cilantro, lime and coconut it totally classic. Pair it with The BEST Carnitas Recipe, or Simple Shredded Chicken and you've got all the makings of a great burrito, burrito bowl or taco.
Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice in burrito bowls or lunch prep
This is the easiest and most delicious way to take your burrito bowls to the next level. I love to make shredded BBQ pork with pineapple and black beans on top of this rice. Oh my goodness. So amazing and so simple! It would also be amazing for lunch meal prep and be done with lunches for the week.
Recipes to go along with this rice
- The BEST Carnitas
- Shredded Chicken
- Garlic Jalapeño Pinto Beans
- Carnitas Burrito
- Sunday Night Nachos
- Homemade Tortillas
- Baked Taquitos
- Pico de Gallo
- Queso Dip
- Monterey Jack Queso
Here's how to make this Cilantro Lime Coconut rice
You're basically making white rice the same as you normally would, but we're adding in all this amazing flavor. Typically, for every 1 cup of rice, you'll need 2 cups of liquid. But for this recipe, its 1 cup of water and one 13.5 ounce can of full fat coconut milk. Also add salt and the juice of two limes. The liquid content is higher here, making for a "creamier" rice texture.
Once rice has cooked in the water and coconut milk, add in a LOT of cilantro. If you don't love cilantro, put it on the side and let people add it to their own preference.
Coconut Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk full fat works best
- 1 bunch cilantro rinsed and chopped
- 2 limes or refrigerated lime juice is ok too
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Combine rice, water, coconut milk, juice of 1 lime and salt in a large pot.
- Put the lid on tight and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add chopped up cilantro and juice from the other lime.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
Yum! Have never thought to add lime to coconut milk but love both so will try this. Have given 5 stars for the inspiration, even though I haven't tried it yet. 🙂
Thank you Claire! I'm sure you'll love it!
This looks delicious! I will have to try this - especially with a burrito bowl.
Thank you Patty!
So happy I found your recipe again! I made it before a while ago. It was simple and delicious, but somehow I lost my Pin for this recipe and was so determined to find it again. There’s a lot of similar recipes, but I liked this one more for its simplicity and flavor. Thank you!
I'm so glad you found it and love it! And yes, this is how I always make my rice now, so good!
Amy, this looks like and amazing recipe. I need to serve 30 people and would like to bake the rice in the oven. Would cooking for 40-45 min @ 350 degrees work if covered?
Hi Karen! I've never cooked rice in the oven, however, I have found oven-baked rice recipes online. The same process should be able to work for this rice as well. Good luck and let me know how it goes!