Works as an appetizer or a side dish, these twice baked potatoes will actually make your day better. Seriously. Potato, cheese, sour cream, green onion and bacon come together and create little boats of magic that gives any day a boost. Truly the perfect make-ahead side dish for a summer bbq or cookout.
Sign up for our FREE 7 Day Simple Meal Plan!
Twice Baked Potato Recipe Creation
When I was around 10 years old, my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday dinner (this was a family tradition, for mom to make us our favorite meal) and I asked for twice baked potatoes. I THOUGHT I was asking for these potatoes (because they’re cooked once and baked once) but my mom correctly made potatoes like this recipe.
At first I was so bummed (because I seriously LOVE that other mashed potato recipe), but then I started eating these little love boats and I couldn’t stop (this was before I was lactose intolerant and could indulge all I wanted). Ever since then, I started requesting twice baked potatoes every year.
This recipe was created by Rachel, which is why it’s so incredible. She can eat all the dairy (I’m always so jealous).
Tell me all about these ultimate twice baked potatoes
- Flavor – Bacon and cheddar in potatoes is a classic pub-type flavor and it’s a total win here. Everyone will love it. Truly, it’s a great way to make friends.
- Texture – Creamy and soft inside and a slightly crisp potato skin.
- Difficulty Level – Very easy. The only extra step is the scooping out the baked potatoes. It’s very simple, and this step is what makes these potatoes so special and delicious.
- Time – About 1 and a half hours start to finish. My favorite shortcut is to bake my bacon on a baking sheet covered in foil at 400°F for about 12 minutes, until crispy.
- Make Ahead – Wondering if you can make these ahead of time? Absolutely! Simply prep the potatoes, but do not bake the second time. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Such an easy way to prep an appetizer or side dish for your next bbq.
Dinner recipes that go great with this potato recipe
- Jalapeño Popper Burger
- Grilled Steak with Blue Cheese Salsa
- Mountain Burger with Cambazola Cheese
- Pork Loin with Apricot Balsamic Sauce
- Blackberry Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Burger with Blue Cheese Slaw
Love this fully loaded twice baked potatoes recipe? Try these other amazing potato recipes!
Ultimate Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 3/4 C cheddar cheese divided
- 2 green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash potatoes and brush with oil and salt.
- Bake potatoes directly on middle oven rack for 50-60 minutes or until fully cooked and a fork easily punctures the skin.
- Leave the oven on at 400°F.
- Cut potatoes in half and allow to slightly cool for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the potato with a spoon, making sure not to break the skin.
- Place potato insides into a medium mixing bowl.
- Continue with the remaining potato halves. You should now have 12 potato skins that are empty.
- In the potato bowl add in butter and sour cream, while lightly mashing the potatoes in the process.
- Add in 1/2 cup cheese, green onions, and bacon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine.
- Scoop out potato filling and place into an empty skin, slightly overfilling (see images above).
- Repeat with remaining filling and skins.
- Top with extra 1/4 cup cheese.
- Place skins onto a baking sheet and return to the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and lightly browned.
- Remove and enjoy while hot.